Auto Accident lawyers in Bridgeport, West Virginia
Despite our best efforts to be safe drivers, car accidents still happen. Some auto accidents in Bridgeport, WV are minor while others can cause catastrophic injuries or even death, as well as lasting financial, emotional, and physical damage. Luckily, our West Virginia auto accident attorneys at Kaufman & McPherson are here to help.
How We Can Help You
By retaining the services of a law firm after an accident, you can help ensure a successful personal injury claim. Our qualified Bridgeport auto accident injury lawyer will work on your behalf to win you a settlement that is fair and covers all of the costs – both tangible and intangible – of a motor vehicle accident.
Common Crash Types in Bridgeport
- One of the most common types of car accidents in West Virginia is head-on collisions when two cars are moving towards each other and crash straight into each other. This type of accident unfortunately frequently results in fatalities because of the extreme compounded force.
- Rear-end accidents are also quite common, which is where the front of one vehicle crashes into the back of another vehicle. This type of accident is often the result of a car following too closely behind the car in front and then being unable to stop in time when the forward car slows or stops.
- T-bone collisions happen when the front of one car strikes the side of another car at a perpendicular angle. These crashes are also sometimes called broadside or side-angle crashes as well, and they can be incredibly dangerous for vehicle occupants seated on the side that is struck by the second car.
- Sideswipe accidents occur when the side of one vehicle contacts the side of another vehicle. These accidents are often caused when one vehicle drifts out of its lane or when a driver changes lanes without checking for other vehicles nearby.
- Car accidents can also be chain-reaction crashes that involve many vehicles or they can be single-vehicle accidents, where a car strikes an immobile obstacle like a median or guardrail or involving pedestrians or bicyclists.
Driver Error and Vehicle Crashes
Bridgeport Auto Accident FAQs
Here are a few questions our auto accident attorneys in Bridgeport, WV get asked frequently.
Our accident attorneys can help you with nearly any type of motor vehicle accident, including motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and car accidents. Additionally, if you were a pedestrian or bicyclist who was struck by a car or a driver in a single-vehicle accident, we may be able to help you obtain compensation.
We can still help you. Even if you have a past DUI or other legal issues, you may still be entitled to compensation for this accident. We can also refer you to a criminal defense attorney if necessary to get any other legal problems taken care of.
In the State of West Virginia, with only limited exceptions, you only have two years from the date of the crash to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations bars your claim. However, your chances of a successful case are higher the sooner after the accident you obtain representation.
What To Do After You Are in an Auto Accident?
Even if you aren’t sure immediately after a crash that you want to pursue a claim, there are four steps that you should take right away just in case. Then, if you decide later to pursue a personal injury case, you will have all the documentation you need to be successful.
- Get medical attention. Obviously, if you have been severely injured in the crash, you will be taken to the hospital immediately in an ambulance. But, even if you only have minor injuries and decline to go to the hospital immediately, you should still get checked out as soon as you can by a medical professional to ensure that you have no serious injuries and get any injuries that did occur officially recorded. This medical record can be a critical piece of your case later on.
- Report on the accident. Depending on the severity of the crash, the police may or may not be called to the scene. If they do come out, they will most likely complete an accident report right then, but if they do not come out, call them as soon after the car accidentas possible to have an official accident report filed.
- Gather evidence. If you can, take photos at the scene of the car crash. Document the damage to your vehicle, the aftermath of the accident, any visible injuries, and anything else that you think may be relevant. Also keep all pertinent documents, such as medical bills, car repair bills, copies of any reports made, and so forth.
- Contact an accident attorney. The services of a personal injury attorney will greatly increase your chances of winning your case and obtaining substantial financial compensation. Your lawyer will help you deal with insurance companies and fill out all the correct forms. Be sure to avoid talking to an insurance company adjuster or making any statements until you have consulted with an attorney.
Why Choose Us
At Kaufman & McPherson, our personal injury attorneys are experienced, professional, and have a strong winning record. We don’t hesitate to take on insurance companies, government entities, automobile manufacturers, other drivers, or anyone else who might be at fault, no matter how formidable.
We know that medical bills, property damage, or the wrongful death of a loved one can be incredibly stressful and overwhelming, which is why we are here to offer real-time assistance in the aftermath of a car accident.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in the state of West Virginia, contact us today.
Free Legal Advice & Case Evaluation
At Kaufman & McPherson, we offer a free initial consultation to anyone who thinks they have a personal injury case. In our law office, we take your legal issues seriously and can offer you free legal advice as well as help you determine if your personal injury case is worth pursuing.
All of our legal services are on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay us anything unless we win the case for you. To get started with your case, call us at 304-842-4300. We look forward to helping!