Our Auto Accident Attorneys in Huntington Will Fight You!
Car accidents happen with unfortunate frequency, injuring over 2.5 million people each year in the United States. Often, the consequences of an auto accident go beyond personal injury and affect victims financially as well.
If you or a loved one has been in a car accident, contact our auto accident attorneys in Huntington, West Virginia at Kaufman & McPherson immediately for legal representation. You may be entitled to financial compensation beyond what the insurance companyoffers you. Although of course money can never fully mitigate the effects of a motor vehicle accident, financial compensation can help alleviate the resulting financial hardship.
How Can a Huntington, West Virginia Car Accident Attorney Help?
Enlisting the help of a Huntington auto accident law firm in the aftermath of a car accident helps ensure that you receive substantial compensation for your pain and suffering instead of a paltry and often insignificant settlement from an insurance company. Many people aren’t aware that they can be compensated for all the related costs of an auto accident, including medical bills, car repair costs, therapy, and long-term care, lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and, in the worst-case scenario, end-of-life costs for a loved one who was killed in a car crash and wrongful death compensation.
The insurance company will not voluntarily compensate you for the majority of these damages, and they will find any possible excuse to not compensate you at all. As such, it’s critical to contact a car accident attorney as soon as possible after an accident occurs and avoid making any statements regarding the crash.
Even if you fear that the accident was your fault, our personal injury law firmcan help. Our attorney-client relationship will protect you from implicating yourself as you explain the situation to our team and we can offer you legal advice on how to best handle the case.
Steps to Take After the Accident
There are four critical steps to take right after your automobile accident in order to ensure your injury case is successful. The sooner these steps are completed after the accident, the better.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you don’t feel injured right after the crash, it’s important to get evaluated by a medical professional for two reasons. First, you may be injured and not immediately feel it due to adrenaline or have a minor injury that could develop into something more serious without attention. Second, having a doctor officially document any injuries that have occurred can be useful later in your case to prove that you were an injury victim.
- Report the car crashto the police. Call the police as soon as possible after the crash occurs in order to get an accident report filed. This report can also be useful in your accident case.
- Gather all evidence possible. Take photos at the site of the auto accidentif possible, as well as photos of any damage to your vehicle, your physical injuries (if visible), and anything else that is pertinent to your injury case. Keep all of the relevant documents together as well, including records of your medical bills, repair bills, and receipts for any other costs that were incurred as a result of the car accident. These costs will all be taken into account in your injury case to help determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to.
- Contact a car accident lawyer. The car accident attorneys at our Kaufman & McPherson law firm are here to help you navigate the aftermath of an auto accident. Contact our law office as soon as possible so we can guide you through talking to insurance companies. Avoid signing anything or making any statements before you’ve had an initial consultationwith one of our Huntington car accident lawyers.
Keep in mind that there is a two-year statute of limitations on car accident cases in Huntington, West Virginia, which usually means that after two years, you can no longer file a lawsuit.
Why Choose Kaufman & McPherson PLLC?
At Kaufman & McPherson Law Firm, our car accident attorneyshave years of experience handling and winning even the most convoluted cases, and we have the success record to back it up. Our personal injury lawyershave taken on government agencies, insurance companies, product manufacturers, commercial vehicle companies (who can be held responsible for truck accidents), and other drivers.
Whether you’ve been in a car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident, we are here to guide you and fight on your behalf for the full amount of compensation that’s due to you.
All of our injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, which means that you don’t pay us a dime unless we win the case for you. Contact us today at (304) 842-4300 or online and we will be in touch right away to begin your consultation.
FAQs We Get Asked Most in Beckley, WV
Here are a few questions our auto accident attorneys in Beckley, WV get asked frequently.
Our accident attorneys can help you with nearly any type of motor vehicle accident, including motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and car accidents. Additionally, if you were a pedestrian or bicyclist who was struck by a car or a driver in a single-vehicle accident, we may be able to help you obtain compensation.
We can still help you. Even if you have a past DUI or other legal issues, you may still be entitled to compensation for this accident. We can also refer you to a criminal defense attorney if necessary to get any other legal problems taken care of.
In the State of West Virginia, with only limited exceptions, you only have two years from the date of the crash to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations bars your claim. However, your chances of a successful case are higher the sooner after the accident you obtain representation.
What To Do After You Are in an Auto Accident?
Even if you aren’t sure immediately after a crash that you want to pursue a claim, there are four steps that you should take right away just in case. Then, if you decide later to pursue a personal injury case, you will have all the documentation you need to be successful.
- Get medical attention. Obviously, if you have been severely injured in the crash, you will be taken to the hospital immediately in an ambulance. But, even if you only have minor injuries and decline to go to the hospital immediately, you should still get checked out as soon as you can by a medical professional to ensure that you have no serious injuries and get any injuries that did occur officially recorded. This medical record can be a critical piece of your case later on.
- Report on the accident. Depending on the severity of the crash, the police may or may not be called to the scene. If they do come out, they will most likely complete an accident report right then, but if they do not come out, call them as soon after the car accidentas possible to have an official accident report filed.
- Gather evidence. If you can, take photos at the scene of the car crash. Document the damage to your vehicle, the aftermath of the accident, any visible injuries, and anything else that you think may be relevant. Also keep all pertinent documents, such as medical bills, car repair bills, copies of any reports made, and so forth.
- Contact an accident attorney. The services of a personal injury attorney will greatly increase your chances of winning your case and obtaining substantial financial compensation. Your lawyer will help you deal with insurance companies and fill out all the correct forms. Be sure to avoid talking to an insurance company adjuster or making any statements until you have consulted with an attorney.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney in Huntington Today!
We offer a consultation and case evaluation for anyone who has been in a car crashin the Huntington area. Allow us to make the aftermath of your accident less stressful and ensure that you get the full amount of compensation that you are entitled to.